With the completion of my DIY 200 yesterday out to Diss, upon validation by AUK then that means I've completed my third Randonneur Round the Year series — that's one 200km ride or longer in each of the previous 12 months (including the wintry ones!). A ride can only be counted towards a single series, but it's possible to have multiple series on the go at the same time by riding multiple 200+km rides in each (and every) month. It is good motivation to get out there every month, but it can also be a bit of a treadmill when the days are short and the weather's cool.
I started this series in July last year (2014) when I rode two brevet rides in the same month, the first finishing my previous series, the second starting my new series.
For this series I used these rides:
- July 2014 — Hereward the Wake 300 + ECE100
- August — Straight Outta Hackney 200
- September — The Flatliner 600 permanent
- October — DIY200 to Haddenham in Bucks
- November — DIY200 Cambridge Market route check (now a perm)
- December — DIY200 towards Aylesbury, Bucks
- January 2015 — Horses for Courses 200 perm
- February — The Horsepower 200 + ECE100 helpers' ride (ridden 28 February)
- March — Green & Yellow Fields 300 helpers' ride (ridden 28 March)
- April — Asparagus & Strawberries 400 permanent
- May — The Flatlands 600 helpers' ride (ridden 16 May)
- June — DIY200 to Diss and Clare
I rode all of Tom's Essex SR/PBP-qualification rides as helpers' rides, which means the date in the AUK results pages is different to the date we rode — we rode a week or two before the actual event, but the results are recorded all together on the same start date. It's a technical detail, but two of the rides were ridden in the previous month to that recorded.
I am also five months into RRTY #4 at the moment — I started it in January, doubling up every month as PBP training. For the record, so I don't forget myself really, this is where I'm up to:
- January 2015 — DIY200 Cambridge Civil War route check (now a perm)
- February — DIY200 Cambridge Pork Pie route check (now a perm)
- March — DIY200 Cambridge Four Counties route check (now a perm)
- April — Cambridge Market 200 perm (perm here)
- May — Asparagus & Strawberries 400 calendar event (I rode both the perm and cal events)
- June — TBD …